Friday, May 25, 2007

The Reality of Oy

I have been reading the Dark Tower series by Stephen King for 15 plus years. I am amazed as to how he can drag me off into a wonderful place, where a Clint Eastwood-esque character trods relentlessly towards his destiny, bodies of friends and enemies strewn about in his endless quest. The Gunslinger, Roland, plods on through endless landscapes in unending worlds towards his goal, the Dark Tower. One by one, foes and friends fall, and I read on...disturbed, but not surprised, nor even moved.

Then there was Oy.

If anyone out there in computin' land is reading this, and is reading the series, but not into the final book, please leave now, as I will be giving away an element of the story that you should experience on your own.

To the best of my recollection, Oy came into the Ka-tet in Book 3 (The Wastelands). He is what is known in mid-world as a Billybumbler. King's desciption of him is, from the beginning, clearly that of a Pembroke Welsh Corgi. It is probably because of my own close relationship with Corgi's, that I make this connection. Then, I find out in the final book, that King actually has Corgi's of his own. There is no question in my mind that Sai King is writing from his own experiences with his Corgi.

Oy acquired his unusal name through his rudimentary understanding of the spoken word. His first master is the boy Jake Chambers, referred to by the Gunslinger as "The Boy". Oy can only enunciate the word 'Oy, when referring to Jake, and is therefore so named.

Oy is an integral part of the Ka-tet, or family of Tower seekers. There is the Gunslinger, Roland of Gilead. He is joined twice by Jake Chambers, then by the drug addict Eddie Dean of New York, and by Susannah, the brave black woman, who lost her legs to a subway train in her version of New York.

From Book 2 to Book 7, these travellers braved horrible odds and unimaginable beings in their quest for the Dark Tower.` Halfway through the final volume, it became terribly clear to me what must unfold. In Book 1, the Gunslinger began his quest alone...and Ka dictated he must finish it alone. One by one, Eddie, Jake and Susannah exited the tale. In the end, only Oy and the Gunslinger remained. I held out hope that the little Billybumbler would see the tale completed. My hopes were futile.

Oy died today, and I cried. Me, the grumpy, heartless, 48 year old engineer, who could give a damn about most things in this world. Oy died, and I put the tale aside, and cried. I will finish it another time. It hit too close to home. It reminded me of Trifle, the first of our Cogis to go. It reminded me of Tom, the current Corgi, who so closely resembles who I imagine Oy to be. But mostly, it made me think of Katie, our first Corgi, and the one who has become closest to me. She is 12 years old, and I know her time is being marked. (Thank God, she doesn't know it or show it).

Travel well Oy..we were well met. I will see you in the clearing at the end of the path.

22 comments:

Unknown said...

Welcome to the Blogosphere, you beautiful man.

Unknown said...

As I read the series, I am trying to forget I ever read this post. Only, it was the first post on your blog, so it has sentimental value for me.

Sigh.

You continue to cause me inner turmoil without even trying!

Unknown said...

Every time I read this, I am reminded of exactly why you are my friend, Bat, and why I adore you.

Billyfish said...

A surprising re-visit Sai! Read on...read on. Ka is a wheel, and as such, keeps turning.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Aye, my Gunslinger -- Ka is a wheel.

Unknown said...

Susan Delgado is dead.

Of course, I knew that she was going to die.

What's ironic -- terrifying actually -- is that I dreamt about it...weeks ago...I even wrote about it on my training blog.

And that's exactly how she died -- burned to death in a bonfire. Burned while Roland watched...

Charyou tree.

My god, Batman.

Reading this book was almost unbearably painful for me. And I am glad to be done with it.

I am so glad it's over.

Billyfish said...

Tired or not Sai...the Tower awaits. You must press on, for the Wolves of the Calla are poised to strike.

Unknown said...

I AM tired, Gunslinger. I hope the Tower is worth the pain.

Unknown said...

Come commala?
Aye... come commala BIG-BIG!

Tee hee hee -- that just kills me.

Unknown said...

I didn't cry when Eddie died. I left that to Susannah, I suppose...

But for Jake (Oh Discordia!) I have cried all morning.

Unknown said...

Ka is a wheel... and now I, too, have lost (and wept for) Oy.

So close to the end of the book now... so very close.

Anonymous said...

I hear you about Oy. I have a dog completely unlike Oy's description in appearance, but so like him in personality and someday I'm convinced she's going to talk to me. I cried in advance, I cried when it happened, and I hugged Dynamo.

Anonymous said...

I totally agree that the basis of Oy is a Corgi or Corgi mix. Oy provides many comedic moments in the books and of course Corgis are very comedic. I too was attached to Oy and found myself in tears when we lost him.
They are doing a movie of the Dark Tower, and I hope they use the wonderful Charactor of Oy to the fullest. They should get a real Corgi/corgi mix to act out the part then computer generate the extras to turn him into a Billy Bumbler, ie, claws, fuller fur with stripes, longer snout devilish grin and of course the gold ringed eyes and corkscrew tale. When they do the movie, I think the epilogue when Susannah meets Eddie and Jake in the "other" NY, I think Oy should come bounding out as a Corgi with a speech like bark. That is the only part of Stephen Kings book that I would change in order to make the movie better and to respect Oy.

Unknown said...

I love that I am not the only person who revisits this post. And I love you, too, Batface.

Billyfish said...

Jeez...I cannot believe folks are still visiting this particular site. It is nice, and I intend to make a regular visit here. Thanks to Tammy and you "Anonymous" folks for your comments.

Unknown said...

Ka is a wheel.

Sometimes I am completely taken aback by just how much the wheel has turned since you posted this in 2007.

I am not sure how fast the wheel turns -- but as it carries me farther and farther away from May 2007 I still find myself hoping that it will come full circle within my lifetime.

At least I finally figured out that I merely ride the wheel -- that no matter how much I push and run and yearn and strive, I simply cannot affect its speed.

A hard lesson -- as I have never been a patient woman.

Billyfish said...

Hey you...welcome back. See you down the path.

Unknown said...

I'll be waiting on you. Bring tacos.

Unknown said...

I think we may be about "blogged out", Batface. Ka is wheel.

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!

Anonymous said...

I've been listening to the whole Gunslinger series and am now just about at the last of the last book.

Oy was just killed by Mordred and I am just sitting here crying my eyes out. My dogs are all gathered around me sniffing and whining wondering WHAT is going on with me. And all I can say over and over again is..."Oy, my poor, precious little Oy!!"

:-(

I was hoping he would show up in the when Susanna went into when she finds Jake and Eddie again. I guess not, though. He has gone over Rainbow's Bridge, the bumbler clearing at the end of the path....