Thursday, June 21, 2007

Bang the Drum Slowly

Gotta give tribute to all of the great drummers down through the history of rock and roll. Time goes by, but their basic function never changes. Keep the beat. However, some have moved the drums into a contributing instrument. Yet, they are overlooked, or never truly listened to.

Many times, I find myself physically tuning out the guitars, singing and keyboards and focusing on the drum track. I encourage you to try it with your favorite bands, and get a new respect for what these amazing people do.

Ron Bushy - Iron Butterfly
Nick Mason - Pink Floyd
John Bonham - Led Zeppelin
Danny Carey - Tool

Play these albums and tune out everything but the drums. Listen hard, but you will be amazed and have a new respect for what these guys contribute.

6 comments:

Billyfish said...

Good Lord, how could I forget Don Brewer of Grand Funk fame.

Unknown said...

Neil Peart (Rush)
Roger Taylor (Queen)
Ian Paice (Deep Purple)
Mick Fleetwood (Fleetwood Mac)
Lars Ulrich (Metallica)

And, of course, THIS LEGEND

Todd said...

Keith Moon- Dead

Phil Collins

Larry Mullen Jr. (U2)

Uhhhhhh
Alex Van Halen?

I always though Lars Ulrich took himself and Metallica a little too seriously.

Saw the surving members of Queen with Paul Rogers on vocals doing Queen songs- Roger Taylor is very talented.

What about the other Roger Taylor? the drummer for Duran Duran?

Unknown said...

I don't think the drummer from Duran Duran is ever going to win any "legendary drummer" awards.

With that said, however, Duran Duran is super-fun 1980's GREATNESS, and I love them.

Todd said...

I forgot- I have give at least honorable mention to Rick Allen of Def Leppard- He only has ONE ARM!

Do you wanna get rocked?

Unknown said...

I WILL bang the drum slowly -- sadly and slowly -- in a long, morose death dirge if you do not post something new soon.