Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Peace of Mind

Whilst working on the kitchen remodel last week, I noticed some contractor types working diligently at the hillbilly neighbors house. Turns out, the contractors were converting the home to the north to be ADA accessible. During a paintbrush washing episode, I encountered Jerry, the hillbilly neighbor, tooling around in a wheelchair. Imagine my surprise when I noticed he was missing a leg. He greeted me with something like this. "Hey Steve, I lost a leg since the last time I saw you. It's really kind of an interesting story."

Turns out, he had gone in for some type of arterial surgery, and due to complications from a staph infection, six weeks later, he came out, one leg short.

What really hit me was his complacency about the whole situation. I have more respect for the lunatic now. I don't believe I could have handled such a situation as well as he apparently has.

Kind of renews my faith in the phrase..."Let not your heart be troubled."

3 comments:

Todd said...

"when I noticed he was missing a leg". Grate prose.

Could there be an instance where losing a leg is not interesting?

Good comments and observations.

Did he mention what hospital gave him Staph? I have a pretty good idea....

k said...

His ease of acceptance points to only one thing: clearly, he does not play golf.

Todd said...

Update your damn blog! It's been a month!