Saturday, September 8, 2007

Funeral for a Friend

Just returned last night from a quick trip to Somerville to see Sam Woods put in the ground. Sam was the Director of the Lubbock Metropolitan Planning Organization, and as such, he and I worked together for the past 5 or 6 years. Sam would irritate the hell out of me at times, and occasionally just piss me off.

But when he died suddenly last Monday, a strange feeling fell over me. I don't know if it was the unexpectedness of his death, or the sudden realization that I would never hear his goofy laugh again. Whatever it was, when the word came out Thursday morning that he would be buried 450 miles away at 2:00 p.m. the next day, I knew I had to go...as much for me, as for him. I guess I feared Sam would exit this world with nobody but his family to see him out.

When I arrived at the small chapel, I was relieved to see a gathering of 30 or so friends and family. I was pleasantly surprised to see my boss, three TxDOT'ers from the Austin Planning Division and two researchers from Texas Transportation Institute. Apparently Sam had gotten into their heads as well.

The biggest surprise came when the pastor asked if anyone would like to step forward and say a few words about Sam. Without really understanding why, I walked to the podium. I just felt that Sam's family needed to know what Sam had done in Lubbock, and how much he was appreciated and would be missed. Dammit, I even choked up a little bit. I was followed by Bill Frawley from TTI, who told a great story about Sam's love of food and eating (Sam was a large man), and even better, his ability to find a free meal here and there.

That was it...no one else stood up. That was OK though...Bill and I had our say, and the family expressed their appreciation after the service. The strange feeling was lifted, and I could turn my attention to the 7 1/2 hour drive home.

Farewell Sam...Shine on, you big, fat crazy diamond.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Sam was a dear, dear man. I don't think that a week went by during my 18 months at TxDOT that I did not speak to or see him at least once. Emails and phone calls from him always began with him lilting "Hello Nice Lady..." or "Hello Pretty Lady...". He was quirky, and warm, and genuine -- and I liked him much.

I am glad that you were able to be there, Bat... and I am so glad that you spoke. You have an incredible heart, and I love ya.

Godspeed, sweet Sam.