Tuesday, September 25, 2007

The Oddity of the Odyssey

And...just like that, I am in the oldest car in the family again. Bought a new 2007 Honda Odyssey for the wife today.

Last Friday, Khiva mentioned it might be time to look at a new Odyssey. After all, the "old" one had been with us 22 months, and racked up an awe inspiring 44,000 miles. Surely the thing must be ready for the scrap heap. In her defense, she indicated a friend in Amarillo had just got one for a very good price, and if we could make a similar deal, we would be able to reduce the payments, while moving into a new vehicle.

Sure, said I, knowing it was probably not possible, but I would give it a try anyway. After all, if I could not make a deal, she was happy with the one she had. Lo and behold, Frank Brown Honda matched the price from Amarillo...$1000 below invoice. Unheard of in a Honda. OK...OK...but I am sure they will make up for it with a royal screwing in the trade in department.

Pessimistically, I drove to the Honda house this afternoon, prepared for a ridiculous offer of $15 or $16 thousand for a used van which I had pegged at $19,500. I was all prepared with my condescending chuckle, and a quick retort of, "Guys, we are waaaayyy apart." Imagine my surprise, when their first offer was $21,500. I stood there, stunned. Never in my life has a trade value come back higher than I thought it would be. Blue Book had it at $19,800. I continued to stand there, stupidly, trying to think of what to say next. The world was spinning off its axis. Finally, I blurted out, "If you will throw in the XM Radio, you have a deal." I needed desperately for them to say "No", so the world would be right again. Damned if the response wasn't, "Sure, I think we can throw that in."

"Where am I...what's happening?", I spluttered. Finally, my brain kicked back in and advised me to get the paperwork done, and get out, before the real dealers came back from lunch.

Bottom line...payed less than invoice for a new Honda...got $2000 above Blue Book for a trade, moved the wife into a new Odyssey...no cash out of pocket...payments reduced by $60/ month.

22 months from now, I can only hope for as much luck.

3 comments:

k said...

You mean, they didn't even screw you on the interest... you something like 30% for 10 years... yeah the payments are lower... but in the end, your upside down and paid twice the value of the car in the interest alone?? Maybe they just asked for your first born on some really tiny line of print.

Todd said...

what a good story bat. I too would have been looking for the hidden camera but it sounds like these guys are doing their part to keep our economy going. If I could get a similar deal I would take it. Do you know if there were going to be big differences between the 2007 and 2008 Odyssey?

What colour did you get?

How do the dogs feel about this transaxtion?

Billyfish said...

Elaine,

They are welcome to my first born. This car will be a pile of rust by the time the first born comes into being.

Ed,

Not many differences coming from '07 to '08, but never mind that. I am sure you can pick up a real nice '06 that was dropped off recently for a very fair price. Pay no attention to the dog hair.

The dogs don't care, as long as they get fed.