Friday, November 16, 2007

Bang the Drum Slowly - Part II

Reading a post from my old friend, Shoeless,earlier got me to thinking back to days gone by, with friends gone awry. I recall a trip from the small town of Crested Butte, CO to the Village of Mt. Crested Butte, CO in a 1991 Maxima with Shoeless and "Payin' Ray", listening to Led Zeppelin. Most notably, the tune "In My Time of Dying",

This got me to thinking of one of my favorite "drummer" songs. As I have stated here previously, I think drummers are the forgotten force behind many great bands. John Bonham, of Led Zeppelin was one of the better of the bunch.

This song takes about 3 minutes to really kick off, so give it time. So, I give you Led Zeppelin

And to give you an idea of what I hear when I listen to this tune, here is a guy who shares my position Drummer's View .

And while we are at it...check out how hard Don Brewer works on this little known Grand Funk track Inside Looking Out .

5 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Unknown said...

Just spent the last several minutes laying on the floor of my office in the dark, with my eyes closed, listening to Led Zeppelin and Grand Funk Railroad, and very specifically concentrating all of my musical appreciation efforts towards the drums...

My Saturday night has officially begun.

Anonymous said...

good music ...

looks like the first comment might have been from O'Shea ...

Anonymous said...

"old" friend?? We were obviously only 16 years old on this famed road trip.

Billyfish said...

You know...I read about Aspergers Syndrome today. One of the symptoms is carrying on long winded, one sided conversations, while taking unusal body positions and failing to make eye contact. I believe Mr. O'shea may be a sufferer.

And, sorry Shoeless...you ARE old.