Monday, February 4, 2008

The Price of Fame

I bumped into Lady Raider Head Coach Kristy Curry at The Cracker Barrel tonight. Apparently she cooks the same as I often do. On the sleek shiny surface of a Discover card. I simply said "Hi, Coach, how are you." She said "Hi" back, and that was it.

A few moments later, I spied her cornered against the wall of salt water taffy by one of those ubiquitous Tech fans. 40-something, TTU hat and a demeanor of "know it all"-ness. She seemed to be politely conversing with the guy, but I couldn't help the feeling she might have felt trapped. For a moment, chivalry reared its foolish head, and I contemplated trying to distract the two in order to give her an escape route. Then, I thought, "Fish, for all you know, that guy is her brother, and they are discussing a suitable nursing home for Mom."

So, I left her to her situation, paid for my "Old Fashioned" Americana food, and left. Driving home, I thought of the many times I have been questioned after hours about transportation issues in Lubbock. Occasionally, I resent it, and want to give these people my number and tell them to call me between 8 and 5 if they can catch me on a day that is NOT a State holiday. More often than not however, I do just as Coach Curry did, and try my best to answer the questions if I can. Generally, I don't mind, and actually find it somewhat satisfying that so many people are interested in the area I have chosen for a career. I mean, when was the last time you saw the burger flipper from McDonald's pulled aside, and questioned about the "Special Sauce"? Other than by the health department, I mean.

I, in no way, mean to equate myself with the fame enjoyed by Kristy Curry. But with varying levels of fame, come the necessity of dealing with people outside your normal environs. She is paid a handsome salary, and part of her job is to engage the fans in converation. I work for the taxpayers, and that sometimes means I have to try and explain how and why their tax dollars are being expended.

Coach Curry seems to be a genuinely nice person. Who knows...Maybe she will go on to win a National Championship, and someday I will meet her again...at the groundbreaking for the Kristy Curry Outer Loop.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

"Apparently she cooks the same as I often do. On the sleek shiny surface of a Discover card."

That's a lovely little piece of writing, Batman.

Unknown said...

It's a wonder you haven't let your fame go straight to your head, Billyfish -- seeing as how you're practically as popular as the Beatles and all. Soon screaming girls will be chasing you through the streets...

Todd said...

Excellent topic. I too have been in your shoes (not literally, I don't think they would fit) when meeting folks of note.

I met Coach Leach at a friend's house once. My first instict was to talk football but then I thought: He has to listen to that crap from every single member of the Red Raider Club. So we talked about movies-specifically Napolean Dynamite.

A few years earlier I was at a CPE conference Frisco when I got on a elevator with the NFL great Earl Campbell. The Tyler Rose. He was still huge. My gosh he was good back in his prime before the Oilers ruined him.

He and I were the only ones in the 'vator. I stared straight ahead and then mustered up the nerve to say "I am big fan of your smoked sausage Mr. Campbell." He smiled and politely said "Thank you". I guess I could have referenced his "Skoal Brother" commercials back when they were on TV. I don't know what was more unusual- A smokeless tobacco product TV commercial or a Black guy pushing smokeless tobacco.

Skoal is like $4 a can now.

Stephen said...

I couldn't agree with you more. When you remove all the fame, celebrities are just people. They put on their pants the same way as everyone else, they have to eat and sleep just like everyone else, and they probably have to use aerosol in the bathroom, too (just going out on a limb, there). We should respect their privacy like we want the phone solicitor to respect ours.

Billyfish said...

Ed...you made my day. Who else would have broken the ice with Earl Campbell with "I am big fan of your smoked sausage Mr. Campbell."

You are lucky he did not kick your ass for that one.

Billyfish said...

Stephen...as fine as Coach Curry looked in her Red Raider sweats...I am convinced she does not crap. And, even if she did...aerosol spray definitely would not be necessary.

Billyfish said...

Tammy...screaming girls used to chase me through the streets all the time. Unfortunately, they were screaming. "Quit looking in my window...you pervert!!"

Anonymous said...

The American Ambassador to Venezuela happened to be at the SuperBowl party that I attended last Sunday. He made it a point to come up and chat, which I found equally surprised and intimidating. After stumbling through some pre-requisite intros and a mindless description of what is my job in Venezuela, I got my footing and started asking him about his popularity with the local Government and how he deals with the constant possibility of harrassment (his predecessor was frequently chased through town by thugs on motorcycles, used for target practice, etc). I don't remember his exact answer, but he responded with a tone of "gee, thanks for reminding me, and do you really think I'm going to tell you my security secrets". I, like you Billy, then became conscious of my typical jerkiness, and changed the subject to less offensive subjects. However, I don't think I will be the first on the list of invites for the next embassy function. Not that I care, the guy was pulling for the Patriots, didn't seem to take the good natured ribbing very well, and left with some cold comments at the end of the game... I probably won't be asking him over to watch the Final Four, either.