Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Vaya con Queso, Oscar

Oscar apparently missed Wanda more than we thought, and decided to join her today. A week ago, he seemed perfectly normal. But beginning this weekend, he stopped eating, and declined very rapidly. Last night, he staggered into the living room and looked at me with a lost look. I picked him up and placed him on my chest while I lay on the couch watching TV. This was a position he assumed almost every night of his 18 year life. Looking back, I think it might have been his way of saying goodbye.

This morning, he could not stand up at all. At 11:00 a.m., Dr. Clark sent him on his way to join his long time companion. Tonight, he is lying next to Wanda at the farm.

While Wanda was the prettier cat, and the much better behaved, she was always kind of a loner. She would come see you when she decided it was in her best interest. Oscar was much more sociable, and would impose himself into whatever activity you happened to be undertaking, including working with power woodworking equipment. And, as mentioned earlier, he would cap off each day by curling up on my chest as I lay on the couch.

It was because of this difference that I took this a little harder than losing Wanda. After all, even with Wanda gone, we still had Oscar. I recall Dr. Clark telling me the day Wanda died, not to be surprised if Oscar followed her fairly quickly. Sure enough, he only made two more months. It was how rapidly he declined that took me completely by surprise. Rhonda told me this morning Oscar had decided it was time, and chose when to go.

At any rate, it feels a little odd tonight, going to bed for the first time in nearly 20 years without a damn cat in the house.

Farewell Oscar...we were well met. I'll see you around the bend.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

From another cat person, I'm sorry to hear about Oscar ... I will miss seeing both Wanda and Oscar at the Fourth Up North.

Unknown said...

Love you, Bat.

Anonymous said...

Sorry for your loss Bat. Cats are alright.

k said...

I am sorry you lost your cat.