Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Storm Chasers...Blow Me!!!

Well, it's tornado season again...otherwise known in West Texas as Spring. Having grown up here, and witnessing 49 tornado seasons, I have to say I am annoyed at the annual influx of legal aliens chasing storms. Returning to the home on Maniacal Lane after having acquired a Blake's Round Hot Dog and tater tots from Christaki's tonight, I was slowed dramatically on the Interstate by an antenna laden vehicle, as they checked their mobile computin' machines and the closed circuit TV cameras searching for the next great storm to strike.

As I passed, I politely informed them it was just another storm cloud, and if they would only wait a few minutes, another one would come along directly. Admittedly, it may have actually come out as, "Get the fuck out of the way, you goddamn yankees, my cholesterol bomb is getting cold!"

Every year about this time, storms come and storms go. The local weathermen interrupt our regularly scheduled programming to tell us storms are coming, and storms are going. Call me jaded if you want, but I really don't give a shit about the comings and goings of storms, unless they have the potential to affect the comings and goings of an 8:30 tee time on Saturday morning.

It's the weather folks...and it has been around for several centuries. In the words of the late, great Clayton Williams, "...there ain't a damn thing you can do about it, might as well lie back and enjoy it."

5 comments:

k said...

Jaded, but justified.

Anonymous said...

How about this storm chaser? Muy caliente!

looks like a strong, upper level front ...

Todd said...

I don't know, Although I get tired of Run For Your Life interrupting May Sweeps constantly I think storm chasing might be kind of fun, at least until you get kilt.

Stephen said...

"Admittedly, it may have actually come out as, 'Get the fuck out of the way, you goddamn yankees, my cholesterol bomb is getting cold!'"

Spoken like a true Texan--one who assumes every idiot has to be a yankee. I did see the same vehicles last week heading south on Hwy 84, with nary a cloud in the sky. Could it be they were heading back to College Station? Or maybe it was Austin.

As for the weathermen, though, I agree. I liken their zeal for their weathercams and Dopplar scans to congressmen who justify their jobs by how much money and prime-time they consume. I consider it justice when the same schmucks have to stand in front of the camera at 2:00am because the national weather service has issued a severe weather bulletin.

Billyfish said...

Fair enough Stephen...it is probably unfair to assume that just because they are idiots, they are Yankees. Generally, I am playing the odds, and odds are, if they are acting like idiots in Texas, they are from north of the Red River, and thus...Yankees.