Wednesday, November 26, 2008

What's Old is New

I took the dogs out for their after dinner business tonight. It is a nightly ritual, wherein I watch them to assure they have each done their business, and make sure neither of the young Aussies partake of any poop-sicles that might be strewn about the yard. It also gives me an opportunity to see that Katie makes a good long walk around the back yard to get some exercise on her substandard hips. As I plod along, urging Katie to keep up without letting her break into the hop-skip gait she prefers, I am hit again with the knowing that her days are numbered. It is clear that her ability to get around is diminishing, and her senses are fading little by little. The hearing is very selective, smell and vision are not as sharp as they used to be. But, she seems happy, even if I am not.

Just as I begin to fall into that depressed mood, little Ellen Barkin, the youngest Aussie, comes bounding by with Sara Evans, the next in line...bound together by the rope toy they are fighting over. They gallop around the yard like a team of horses in stride, as they each try to get the toy away from the other. I am reminded to cherish these days with these two dogs, as I know one day, they too will be in their twilight years, and unable to perform this task for my amusement.

Katie will enter the clearing at the end of the path one of these days, and so will all of the others...that is the nature of having dogs. But, just as Ellen is filling the role Katie used to perform, others are sure to take her place as well.

There will always be another dog...but for now, I will enjoy these days with the five crazy canines currently under our care, and constantly remind myself that time, in dog years, flies by.

5 comments:

k said...

That's a nice post. My canine companion of 17 years died a few years back. I haven't gotten another dog, well, because I have children and quiet frankly they are enough work and "entertainment," and bills. However, we are about to embark on dogs again, pups for Christmas...

I think I'll post about it on my blog.

Anonymous said...

PLEASE let me know if you need any help walking Sara Evans ...

Unknown said...

J has been looking at pups... he's convinced that it's time to move on. I have worn Blue's collar around my wrist, or his tag on a chain around my neck, during every race since he was killed and I am convinced that it is not.

This was a lovely post, Bat.

Billyfish said...

Keep an open mind, Speed. I have held off for nearly 12 months on replacing Oscar and Wanda, but I can't imagine going that long without a dog.

The next Blue is out there... waiting to go for a run with you. I believe it is the best way to move on, and I think Blue would approve.

Anonymous said...

I keep wondering what it is about humans that causes us to spend huge sums of money for dog food & vets, while living in houses full of parasites, excess hair and dander just for pleasure of becoming a full time care giver. We walk around with small bags on our hands worrying about the beasts next bowel movement. As Elaine points out, all this takes precious time and resources away from our family and friends. I can't begin tell you what a pain it is to live in a 6th floor apartment in Venezuela with a 50 lb. four-legged food processor.

I keep telling my girls that Dante is our last dog. I keep saying that he would be happier if we just set him free. They know I'm just blowing hot air... Even though the little guy would love nothing more than to bound off into the wilderness, poor Dante wouldn't last 10 seconds off his leash.

And then it really wouldn't be the last dog, would it?