Friday, December 19, 2008

Taking a Peek Out of the Box

Damn...it has been almost a month since I posted anything on this blog. Is my life really that boring and eventless? Not really...I just haven't had much to say.

A quick update.

The kitchen is coming along nicely, but I have been struggling mightily to get some things wrapped up before next Tuesday, when the Warren clan will descend on Maniacal Lane for Christmas. My goal is to have everything complete, except for the floor. Pictures will be forthcoming once that occurs. The walls will have to wait, as the wife has yet to decide what treatment I will be applying.

Bought a new grill today for my Christmas present. Ironically, considering how much shit I gave the wife about her convection oven, I drank the grill Kool-Aid and bought into the Infrared scam. Don't know if it will make any difference in how things cook, but telling people I have an infrared grill just sounds cool. Bought it at Lowe's and was informed they had none in boxes, and I should just roll the display up to the cashier and pay. I felt kind of silly as I went through the line, pushing this humongous grill ahead of me. Then it hit me..."Geez, I am buying a demo. They should discount this thing." Managed to get them to knock 15% off, saving me $75 on a $500 grill. That will make the burgers taste better for a while, at least.

That's it...work, go home and work on the kitchen, sleep, wake up, work, go home and work on the kitchen...well you get the drift. Have a nice Christmas, and stay tuned for finished kitchen photos next week.

6 comments:

k said...

What? No pictures of the grill? Oh come on! I didn't even know there was such a thing as an infrared grill until I read your post. Um, can you still cook with coal or wood if you want? I'm just thinking about MY luck here. I'd buy the infrared grill, then the infrared thingy would break. I'd be back cooking on coal just after the warranty expired.

Anyway, how does the damn thing work? Let us know if it's easy, cool, and the food is tasty.

On a different note, I can't believe it took so long to figure out there should be a discount. I think your powers of reason were off that day. I believe, you were smitten with that grill. Be sure to name her.

goooooood girl said...

your blog is very fine......

Unknown said...

Merry Christmas Batface. The grill sounds groovy.

I see goooood girl the spam whore has visited you.

Anonymous said...

I would have considered it a bonus that the grill was assembled.

"the spam whore" has a nice ring to it ...

Anonymous said...

Wish you would have asked before you spent extra on the whole infrared thing. The novelty wore off mine after about 3 months. I rarely use it anymore. Problem is that it's about 3 times as hot as the regular burners. First few times I used it, the meat was charred on the outside and infrared inside. Hard to clean as well. It's good for grilling veggies, though. I'm sure with your master-chef skills you will find a beneficial use...

Billyfish said...

Strange Shoeless...they sold me with the idea everything would cook more evenly and juicier. And clean up was nothing more than putting the grill on high and letting all the crud burn off.

At any rate, I don't have an option anymore...it's infrared or not at all.