Wednesday, October 3, 2007

The N-Word Revisited

As I said I would, I was finally able to visit with one of my Black friends about this topic. I used the word "nigger" several times in public with him in discussing why or why not we should be able to use it in context. In fact, I started the conversation with the statement..."Earl, I remember talking with you at my home many years ago about how I was always telling Nigger jokes..." He did not flinch, nor act affronted.

In fact, he agreed with me that if we continue to hide the word, how will we ever get beyond it. Surprisingly, he pointed out to me that the wanton usage of the word by kids today, both Black and White, has diminished what the word originally meant, and has made it seem more acceptable. I had not thought about the idea that today's generation might not equate the same racist derogatory nature to the word.

At any rate, I thanked him for setting me straight 20+ years ago in a mature and non-confrontational way. And even though I am not sure he remembers that night as well as I, he said he appreciated the comments, and was glad we were able to discuss it.

I think it may be time for our generation to move on to more important matters and lay Nigger to rest. Or, as Rodney King said, "Can't we all just get along?"

10 comments:

k said...

Wow, you are a brave one.

As my students point out to me... there is a difference in "nigger" and "nigga." According to them, "Fuck you nigger" is not acceptable, but "Fuck you nigga" is. They claim the same to be true for "bitch" and "beeotch." To date, my students assert, "Fuck you wet back" is just offensive, period, and there are no nifty syllabic alterations to make it an acceptable term.

Unknown said...

I suggest we just add an "-a" to the end of EVERY racial slur, thus creating our very own PC White Gangsta language. "Wop-a", "Chink-a", "Cracker-a" -- the possibilities are endless.

Watch this Elaine -- "Fuck you wet-a back-a" -- see? Problem solved.

Unknown said...

In all seriousness, Bat, I am glad that you were finally able to have this conversation with your friend-a.

Todd said...

The rating of your comment section has moved from PG-13 to "R".

What about ending it with a "a"?

I just won't use the word.

My high school was 30 to 40% black. Our baskeball team was 95% black. I played football with black guys. I don't recall them using that term with each other more than a couple of times in heated exchanges. But what do I know.

k said...

I'm kind of with Ed. During Jr. high, certain schools were bussed to my school. Then, during high school I participated in a magnet school. Those words just were not used.

But, I do have a black professor teaching my grad class... lots of black fellow students too... I could just go into class one day, look at my prof and say, "Wuz up, nigga..." and let you know how it turns out...

Unknown said...

Let's see what the People's Wiki has to say on the subject.

Billyfish said...

Tammy, nice reading on Wikipedia. Kind of reinforces what Earl was telling me the other night.

Ed, get over it. Using the word Nigger does not make you a bad person, if used in the proper context, and not as a perjorative.

Elaine, I will give you a lifetime supply of homemade pickles if you go through with your idea. I would love to hear the outcome. Seriously, you might be surprised by the ensuing conversation, if these individuals are open minded and forward thinking.

k said...

I would, except the man has the power to ruin both my academic status as well as my future career. Your pickles are good, Billyfish... but I think I will have to pass.

Todd said...

I did not intend to imply using it made you a bad person. I am only saying that in the rong circumstances using it could get your ass beat or worse as the brother say "faded".

WHACKETY WHACK!

Todd said...

Be sure to check out Cousin Ed's Beaten Down Stories.

http://beatendownstories.blogspot.com/