Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Kinda Feels Like a Golf Tournament

Well, I found out today I was not the successful candidate for the District Engineer's position in Amarillo. (Yes, Elaine...Amarillo. Other than Lubbock, I can't think of a better place in Texas to call home.)

I will not deny that I am disappointed. Like anyone, I feel like I have been designated as not quite good enough. But, on the other hand, I am also relieved. I was seriously wanting the top job somewhere, but I truly want that job in my home town.

Now, it is a matter of waiting to see what becomes of my boss during the current shakeup in the MixMaster that is TxDOT. If he does not move on, I will make my peace doing the job I have done for the past 15 years. Longer than anyone else in my position at TxDOT by the way. I appear to be like a bad slice in golf. You can bitch all you want, but it just won't go away.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

sorry to hear this and I'm not sorry to hear this ...

EHW said...

Is it wrong for me to be happy that my husband will still have a golf buddy for Saturday mornings??? Yes, I am a good "golf wife" and am always happy to support his golf outings...

And, of course, there was the fear that the "4th up North" would turn into the "4th WAY up North"!?!?!?!?!?

Anonymous said...

Al summarized my sentiments exactly. Plus now I don't have to buy your house.

Anonymous said...

to paraphrase Groucho Marx ...

tell your bosses that you would never accept a promotion from any organization that would promote you ...

Anonymous said...

Were the dogs ever notified of a possible move? Have they been fed?

Anonymous said...

Al's Groucho quote sums up the way I've been looking at things lately. I attended a retirement dinner last night for my most recent boss, hosted by the Business Unit Manager and attended by nearly everyone above my pay grade in Latin America...A big gathering. After listening to the polished, but lame speeches, participating in several 1-way conversations with people who obviously have better things to do than get to know their staff, etc, I decided that I've probably gone about as far as my limited mental capacity will allow. I just don't think I've got what it takes to be an ASS... and that's o.k.

It's kind of a relief to come to that realization, actually.

k said...

Well, I hope this ends with you getting promoted "in" Lubbock, since that is what you want...

Billyfish said...

One of the reasons I pursued this was to get a feel of what I can expect out of TxDOT from now til retirement.

While I harbor no resentment, and hold no grudges, it is comforting to know I only have one more possible application for promotion to look forward to.

If, for some reason, the top job comes available in Lubbock, I will put all of my energies into filling that position. Win or lose, it will be the last time I go for it. Regardless, I do not intend to look elsewhere again.

Ain't no big deal. Being Number 2 ain't so bad. Fact is, I feel like #2 most days anyway.