Thursday, July 5, 2007

The Fourth Up North

Another highly successful 4th of July party at the BatCave last night. Good attendance (60 or 70 folks, counting kids). I started prep work on Saturday, continued on Sunday, Monday and Tuesday. Wednesday morning, I drew up my "list" of things to complete, to make sure I could get it all done.

Had it all worked out, even offered to do a few of the indoor activities to lessen the burden on the spousal unit. Got the yard cleaned up, cleaned off all four porches, washed the new windows, went to Sam's. Went to United. Went to the Strip. Painted the gates and armoire. Prepared the veggie trays. Cooked the beans. Managed to get everything done on time except slice the tomatoes and onions for the burgers. Two relatively minor items.

As the burgers went on the grill, it came to my attention the spousal unit had decided to go on strike. Now, in fairness, she had cleaned the house. But, that was to be it. She apparently decided she was going to enjoy the evening, and nothing else.

Luckily for me, I have some good friends. Don stepped in to cook the burgers, so I could get the table ready and the veggies sliced. The Pillers' offered to help, and Don's wife Cray also jumped in and essentially evicted me from my own kitchen to get things ready. I think Lucy also pitched in, but in my confused dashing about, I am unsure. Many thanks to all of them just the same.

Many thanks also to Cousin Eddie for the very popular grilled corn. As always, Kristi's jalapeno poppers were a hit.

Bottom line, I was thrown a curve yesterday, but this party will go on. Dammit, I enjoy it, and I have been told by many that they not only enjoy it, but look forward to it every year. So rest easy Lubbock. As long as Bat lives on Manioca Rd. and the Langston's live across the street, the Fourth Up North will continue.

The most fulfilling moment of the evening came around 10:00 p.m., when one of the Pantoya rugrats came to me and asked, "Batman, when are you gonna start the fireworks?" Unknown to him, I have nothing to do with the fireworks, as they are provided by the Country Club across the road. I told him, "Let me make a phone call and see if I can get them going." About 90 seconds later the show began. That kid will think for years that his "Uncle Batman" puts on the greatest fireworks show in town.

In the end, that is all that matters.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Saaahhh ... lute!

Unknown said...

A good time was had by all.

Thanks for sharing your cigar with me.