Thursday, July 12, 2007

Impending Doom

Ever get that feeling that your next drive home will be your last? That your job will be gone tomorrow? That the next 9-11 is looming on the horizon? I get in these funky places every now and then, and I am currently buried deep in one.

I am never able to explain what leads me there, and as yet, nothing has ever come from one of these feelings. Thank God. The story this week of the retired Air Force colonel being stabbed to death while unloading the SUV in his garage would be an example of a feared impending doom. Sounds crazy, but damned if things like that do happen every now and then.

I recall a couple of years ago, driving back from Levelland at night, after a public meeting. I was suddenly struck with the feeling that, before I could make it home, a car would come careening across the median and run head on into me. I was nearly unable to complete the trip home. The feeling was that strong. (Cosmic, Tammy, I know...I know).

I have found it very hard to concentrate at work this week because of one of these doomsday feelings. Retirement even entered my mind on two separate occasions today. Gotta get out of the funk, and back to reality. As Morgan Freeman said in Shawshank Redemption..."Get busy living, or get busy dying."

I know, as in my golfing slumps, this too shall pass. Just hope if I do die in a fiery crash, it is on the way to work, and not on the way home.

At any rate, I should be back to my usual cheery disposition before you know it. In the meantime, stay away from me during lightning storms.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Darlin', darlin', darlin'.

Check your messages, Batface.

Anonymous said...

here you go ...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ryoNik3wQCs

Unknown said...

Al, that's doom-ilicious, babe. :-)

Billyfish said...

Thanks Al, that must have been the devastating event I was dreading. The feeling has been lifted.

God, that sucked.

k said...

I feel that way all the time. And if you are wondering, the next 9/11 will be in Austin. It only makes sense... after all, Austin is the capitol of Texas, the state that raised the infidel demon-seed. I often feel like a T-Rex is going to come stomping and crashing through the trees onto MOPAC as I sit in traffic. You know, you can't see what is behind those trees. So, I guess I sympathize.