Friday, October 24, 2008

Out of The Dust

Long time...no post. Sorry. While nothing photo worthy has occurred, I have been busy on the kitchen job. Got the matching stainless microwave ($400), the matching stainless kitchen sink ($210) and bar sink ($190). Total, so far...$9,400...so much for staying under $10K. The good news is, the floor is the last big ticket item left. I have bumped my hopeful maximum to $12K.

I was able to remove the old vent hood, re-wire and re-vent for the new microwave, build the two narrow cabinets beside the new range with salvaged material, and I think I have enough left over lumber from previous projects to build the bar extension.

The counter tops are being manufactured as we speak, and may be ready to install next week. Thus, I get to spend this weekend removing the old sink, finishing some cabinet work, and taking off the old counter tops. With my usual luck, I will get all of this done, and the granite folks will call and inform me that due to overwhelming demand in China, it will be three months before they can complete the job. Good thing the wife bought a large supply of paper plates and plastic cups (screw the environment), as we will have no functioning sink until the granite is installed.

Well, that's about it...photos as they seem warranted.

7 comments:

Whatup said...

Sounds lovely. I can't wait to see finished product.

Men that can fix things and build things are sexy...

k said...

The above post is what happens when I post before having coffee. B is not up yet. He makes the coffee. I was really sick yesterday, and I'm still a little out of it. I'm not well today, but better.

Unknown said...

So, are you saying that after drinking your coffee you no longer find Billyfish sexy?

Unknown said...

Khiva -- are you a coffee drinker? Methinks this leaves a very small window of opportunity between the time you wake up and the time you imbibe for Batfish to start the morning in a positive way. ;-)

k said...

Funny. I have had coffee... and look I remembered to check to see which account I was signed into and post as Elaine.

Men that can fix things and build things are even sexier now that I am awake enough to fully appreciate their talents.

Anonymous said...

batfish, you're wise not to take it for granite that your countertops will be ready on time ...

Billyfish said...

Managed to get the lower portion of the bar extension completed today, including the plumbing.

Got a large scare, when I thought I had cracked the cold water line at the point where it exits the concrete. I had no idea how in the hell I was going to fix that, and was sure we would be without water for three days.

Turns out, I just sucked at setting the new fitting, and the leak was coming from there. Re-set, turned on the water, took a deep breath, and was rewarded with a perfectly set cold and hot water feed for the bar sink.

Tomorrow, we lose the main sink.