Saturday, February 28, 2009

Dazed & Confused

Well, the verdict came in on Thursday. My attempt at joining the Clone Army was rebuffed firmly. They instead chose an individual from Odessa who, if he had been in Lubbock, would have been working for me. Now, I get to train this new guy in how to run a metropolitan District. It would be too easy to let him twist and turn, but it would be detrimental to what I am still trying to accomplish here. So, I will get glad in the same pants I got mad in, and continue to be the "best Director of Transportation Planning & Development in the State", to quote my former boss when he heard the news. If that were truly the case, would I not now be the District Engineer?

The most troubling aspect of all of this is, they had a second round of interviews for the job. Of the three they chose to interview, two were from Odessa and one was from Atlanta, TX, and none had any experience in running a District the size of Lubbock, nor experience as a TP&D. Add to that, the fact that I felt I nailed my interview, I am completely dumbfounded by the way things played out. So much so that I have requested a meeting with the guy who did the hiring in order to get some answers. He's got some 'splaining to do.

At any rate, I met the new boss yesterday. He is three or four years younger than me, much like the previous boss. At first glance, he seems like someone I will be able to work with. Time will tell.

Gotta go order some Hawaiian shirts now.

5 comments:

k said...

Sorry. This seems to happen a lot. The best qualified, the most experience, the one not hired? I've never understood how that works, though I've witnessed it a lot.

I know it's disappointing.

Unknown said...

Fucking baffling.

Anonymous said...

You put your best wing forward Bat, and for that you should hold your head high. Let me know when this guy moves here and I will put a potatoe in his tailpipe.

Anonymous said...

Have you taken a good hard look at the guys you hang with on Thursday night? I rest my case ...

Anonymous said...

Does TXDOT know who they're fucking with? I've got some d-struction to plan. Mrs.