Tuesday, February 10, 2009

You Will Be Assimilated

Greetings from the Clone Army. Tomorrow at 3:00 p.m. in Dallas I will interview for the job I have worked for 28 years to attain. I am hopeful, and feel the only thing I can do now, is shoot myself in the foot. I have been trying to walk the tight rope of being proactive in running the District in the absence of a District Engineer and keeping my head down to avoid any last minute pitfalls.

Sometimes fate just doesn't cooperate.

With President Obama's economic stimulus bill looming, I have been working to position Lubbock to make the most of this one time shot in the arm. Unfortunately, this comes with media coverage. This week (two days old), I have been interviewed twice by the newspaper and once by Fox 34. Getting in the way of the unveiling of my brilliant plan for Lubbock is the unfortunate revelation that the Department no longer has the funding available to honor a commitment to the City to move a project forward.

This would be much easier to explain if I was not having to measure every word I say while assuming my future boss may be privy to each interview. I am not accustomed to having to spin something bad into something positive, and then sell it to the City and other leaders as a fantastically forward thinking opportunity. Luckily, my previous boss was a pretty good teacher in the ways of the clone Army.

Honestly, the plan I have put together IS a good plan. Ironically, it's success rests with the same President Obama I have been somewhat critical of. No economic stimulus plan, no Billyfish plan.

At any rate, it will all be over soon. I head to Big D tomorrow for what will most likely be the final interview of my career. Whatever the result may be, I am ready for an answer.

I miss my Hawaiian shirts.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

good luck Bat.

Todd said...

Saw you on Fox 34 this morning. You were grate. Good luck Batfish.

Please make sure the dogs have been fed before you leave for Dallas.

k said...

Good luck and let us know!!

Tyson said...

I know I rib you alot, but I hope you get the opportunity to do what you have worked long and hard for. Good luck!

Unknown said...

Sorry I have taken myself so out of the loop lately! I just now read this post. Hope it went well honey.

Proud of you.