Saturday, February 21, 2009

And, We Try Again

I will try this again. If it gets lost this time, it will be the end of "Inside The Box", because I just don't have the patience.

As only I know I was saying, I have been listening to the right wing talk shows lately with a touch of deja vu. During the election, all I heard from Rush et. al. was their disgust at the way the left was running down the country. The left was rambling on about how George Bush was trampling on the Constitution, the war in Iraq was bankrupting the country, and Republicans were forcing Granny to choose between dog food and drugs.

This talk disgusted Rush, Sean and Glenn because, by God this country was a great place to live, and people should stop running it down.

But, with the election of Barak Obama, we were promised change. So far the only change I have seen is in the demeanor of the right wing talk shows. Now, it is they how are portending the end days of the country. Obama is trampling on the Constitution, the economic stimulus bill will bankrupt the country, and Democrat's will force us to choose between flying in our private jets and flying first class.

Bottom line...they are all full of crap. The country has survived much worse than this, and will stumble through this current crisis. I refuse to accept the premise that either party has the ability to bring this country to its knees, any more than Man has the ability to significantly affect the environment.

We, the people are the country, the government, and the economy. We adjust to the fleeting power mongers in Washington, and keep on plugging ahead. Bring it on, you elected dim bulbs...you may not be here in 2, 4 or 6 years, but we will.

As to the economy, I know it is relatively bad, but it has been much worse, and I believe it will get much better. And, if it doesn't, I will be here with my head firmly planted in the sand.

2 comments:

k said...

Very often, our politicians are like juggernaughts. Sometimes it's amazing things aren't worse.

I read an article recently about how Obama's position on detainees is the same as Bush's. Obama has refused to release Afghan prisoners being held without charges (not on American soil) and being disallowed access to an attorney during interrogations.

Read the Article

Now, I like Obama. What I don't like is that both sides point fingers, then turn right around and do the same, but when "they" do it, it's right, of course, and for the right reasons. Neither side has a monopoly on good people. Neither side is immune to idiots, missteps, misdeeds, or dishonesty.

Truthfully, I don't know if what is happening to the Afghan detainees is right, wrong, necessary, or not. I just know I heard a lot of hullabaloo about Bush doing it. Yes, the story is out there, but when I say "hullabaloo," I mean hullabaloo. There is not nearly the criticism and outrage as there was with Bush. I think the lead council said Obama's response was "deeply disappointing." That's a far cry from what Bush faced over the same issue.

Do not mistake this for a defense of Bush. I am not defending him. I didn't like him as president, and I didn't vote for him, ever, not for governor and not for president. However, I do see the hypocrisy in the situation, and it angers me. It angers me because we need to get out of this practice of loyalty to a party and blaming the other side. It's like watching a bad marriage.

Unknown said...

I am still convinced that if the mainstream media hadn't propagandized this whole "economic crisis" its impact on our country would not have been nearly as significant.

I LOVE this quote from the movie Men in Black and refer to it often:

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals..."

Amen!

And the media, and the political machine, and the extremists on both right and left just LOVE to incite panic. And useless blowhards like Rush Limbaugh and Sean Hannity absolutely FEED off of it, which is terrifying given that the majority of their audiences are made up of the worst kind of feeble minded, panicky, dangerous animals that there are!

So kudos to you, Billyfish, for your optimistic "We the People..." diatribe regarding the citizens of our great nation. It's refreshing.

Repeating your own words to yourself would be a much more worthwhile way to fill up the silence in your car than listening to talk radio.